5 Small Ways To Be Mindful
“The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.” – Rumi
Mindfulness is the act of being present in the moment. The most known way to practice this is through meditation. But if that seems a bit too daunting here are five small ways that you can be mindful in your everyday life, whilst breathing gently:
- Wash your hands slowly and purposefully. Something we are all now programmed to do is to wash our hands for longer. Rather than counting down the seconds whilst humming happy birthday twice, next time watch and feel the actions of your hands as they move.
- Make the bed in the morning. The process of making your bed might not seem particularly mindful, but if you slow the process down slightly you will start to notice the feel of the sheets as you brush them down and tuck them in, bringing with it a sense gently. Swans optional.
- Iron a few pieces of clothing. Ironing can be a very mindful experience if you allow yourself to focus on the motion of the iron and the sound of it moving across the fabric. Once it becomes enjoyable it can feel much less of a chore. Listen to your favourite playlist and glide along with the process.
- Make a hot drink. Next time you’re making yourself a hot drink pick out your favourite mug, listen to the kettle as it bubbles and boils, pour the water gradually into the mug, and stir slowly. Then when you sit down with your drink, breath in the smell of it deeply. Holding the mug feel the temperature and the warmth that travels through it to you. Finally savour the taste as it trickles down your throat.
- Listen to your favourite song. Is a great way to be present in the moment and can even alter the perception of stress in the body. Having different playlists are also a handy library to tap into whenever a certain mood arises e.g. calming, uplifting, dancing. Next time you pick a song let it wash over your body and mind and really feel it.